Saturday, May 2, 2009

state of the art in Walla Walla







I have been neglectful in my blog - but I have my excuses :-)!
A week ago the showdogs Mac and Morrie and I drove to Bellingham, met the bf - aka Les there. He had been in Blaine for the week at the Spring Conference for WA Realtors. I drove up so we could attend the Blue Horse Gallery opening for the Northwest Pastel Society show. My two pieces looked fine and dandy amongst 125 really good paintings. Interested parties can go to http://www.nwps.org/ and see some of the pieces. It was a great gallery space. The weather was wonderful and we were in the Skagit valley in time to see the tulips in bloom. What a sight to see acres of color! We really viewed the fields on the fly...it is pretty congested with visitors and we just wanted to get out and be in the green and sort of sunny NW! Drove Whidbey Island on the way back to Seattle.
I hung new work at Whitman Cellars last week - Fields of Green...8 pieces there in their tasting room...Also got a call from Ceil Blaine who now is managing the 1928 gift shop at the Marcus Whitman Hotel. She asked if I would bring work there in July and I agreed. Did take her some note cards and two smaller paintings to introduce "Upcoming shows". As one might guess, if you know Ceil...she has her expert twist on this little space with really wonderful items. And she has an espresso set up and makes superb coffees! It's a must stop for WW visits and outings. And you can wander thru the beautiful restored hotel lobbies as well!



It's Spring Release for the wine industry...Oh,and it is raining hard today...was hoping it would be sunny and warm...But there is some fun in walking in the rain in and out of tasting rooms, having a great time with friends. Kate and I will maybe go out tomorrow for a little while and see how we fare!
I finished some miniature paintings this past week. I have not decided if they will go into 4x6 frames unmatted or 8x10 matted. image size is about 4x6. Also finished another image of Scenic Loop.
My focus now is the show in Joseph 5-7 June and working on a commissioned piece.
One more thing...I am working with the social worker for the local cancer center to offer art classes to people who are patients and want to learn or work on a particular medium. M'Lisse Moerk, Laurie Borer, CarlyRae Hiphauf have expressed interest in doing some classes. I think it will be a rewarding endeavor and look forward to getting it off the ground - providing an outlet for people experiencing a difficult time in their lives.






















































2 comments:

  1. I think I would mat the 4 x 6 miniatures. POAC had a miniature exhibit this year - nothing larger than 4 x 6. I particularly took note of how each artist handled presentation. It's a very tricky size. Just framed, it was easy for the frame to overwhelm, detract, or simply not showcase the art very well. But nearly every piece that was matted shown beautifully. I particularly liked what one person did - grouping 3 related miniatures in a single frame to accommodate them all - 3 cutouts in the single mat. It's something I want to try some day, and which might work for you, since you work to a theme.

    I lived on the West side of the state for 10 years and never got to the Skagit valley during tulip time...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the matting...I had considered putting some of these in a miniature show that required th overall outside dimension not exceed 25" or basically an outside dimensionof the frame to be no larger than 5x7" which really was just an unmatted 4x6 frame very simple, unadorned frame. But since I didn't do that, I will put t hese in 8x10 ish frames - matted. And they will look good.
    I do like the idea of a group in one frame...might be fun to workon some pieces that would lend to that.

    ReplyDelete