Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Painting a Day Keeps....


What??? Keeps one thinking about what the heck to be painting! This was the second day that I put some Pan Pastels to the test. Not really thrilled with the results of the first one, I decided to try a totally different paper, so I dug around my studio and found some card stock. It has a pretty smooth surface without much tooth, if any. I was thinking about the sunset that I watched manifest out my window at work last night. It was one of those that was the brilliant orange and gold - absolutely drop dead incredible. So I thought that would be a good blend on the smooth paper, which it was. Interestingly enough, the pastels seemed to glide onto the smooth paper better than that with grit and tooth. Is it the applicator??? The color is not as brillilant still...this may be the result of the applicators I am using. These came with the pastels and look like makeup sponges and eyeshadow applicators. I will try more papers and different application methods. Maybe a wash/underpainting first?

On the way to a record # of little fields rendered in pastel!

Are you painting your series - you who have promised to do so??? I am finding myself thinking about them during the day and what I might do for that day's painting. Its becoming part of my routine :-) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment